Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mammoth Springs....again

Sometimes I just hate this program.... when I went to load pics, it froze and I lost all my blog. Going to try it once again.

I'm going to load pics first.

 Fort Jefferson

 Hot Springs Terrace







We headed up north this morning (Sept 8) to Mammoth Springs to see the Terraces and most importantly for me to trail ride.  This was the last day and the only place to get a trail ride in the park.  They are closing up for the winter.  We were lucky enough to get a ride at 1:00.

On our way up to Mammoth, we were looking for moose in all the places that the guide books said to look but we found no moose.  We did see a coyote.

We explored Fort Yellowstone in Mammoth Springs.  This was originally built for the cavalry to stay as they were the ones "in charge" of Yellowstone Park in the beginning.  Many of the cavalry became the first park rangers when the cavalry no longer was relieved of Yellowstone.  The buildings are still in use today-- as the visitor center and as homes for the park rangers.

The elk road freely here as there is plenty of lush green grass.

We then toured the Hot Springs Terraces.  David LOVED this...me that so much.  You had to climb boardwalk after boardwalk to see them.  To me, they smell horribly and are ugly.  David thinks they are so "neat".

We went to the barn and met up with our horses. My horse, Tomahawk was a paint.  David had a huge black horse, Logan.  I'm proud to say I mounted easily the first try.  I think he was a "good fit" horse for me.  We rode among the sagebrush and berry bushes.  It was easy to imagine that you were an early settler riding.  My favorite part of the day.

On the way home, we visited Lamar Valley which is known for having lots of wildlife there.  We saw pronghorns and plenty of bison grazing.  Also saw an osprey nesting.

We made a little stop to see a  petrified tree.  Pics haven't downloaded yet.

As we have been traveling, we have noted a few things.  One would be the need for an automatic leveling system for the next RV we may or may not get. Just trust me on this one.
David and I have been together now 24/7 for almost a month.  I think this afternoon we are both glad that I'm sitting in a parking lot blogging and he's hiking.

Speaking of hiking..... we are 2 different types of hikers.  David has LONG legs and he looks straight  ahead when he walks.  He doesn't ever stop either.  I told him that I curse him behind his back as is like a "machine" or the energizer bunny.   Me... I have short legs and I look side to side looking for animals (BEARS).  I plod along the hike especially when climbing hills. I need to stop and breathe when hiking.  The altitude and the face that I am not a mule hinder me when hiking.  We are making it work......so far

No comments:

Post a Comment