Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Cattle Drive

The morning was overcast and COLD as we rode up the dirt road to Rusty Spurrs Ranch.  We met Han and his wife, Connie.  There also was another couple that went with us, Cindy and Joe.  It was sleeting when we saddled up but that was all of the "bad" weather.

When you go on the trail rides, you ride nose to tail in a row.  Today we rode wherever we wanted!  Han was a wonderful guide as he had the 2 women that have ridden, David, who has only ridden on trail rides and Joe, who really didn't want to be on the horse.

We started on learning how to herd and move the cows in the right direction. We practiced moving this small herd.  Then he told me to go ride up a ridge that was far away from everyone else and gather up those cows.  It was the coolest thing ever!  I was all by myself up there with about 10-12 cows and calves that I had to gather and move them down the ridge to merge with the main herd.  I WAS Dale Evans and/or Calamity Jane up there.

We continued to move and gather cattle that was scattered out on the range and bring them back toward a large pasture area.   Once we got all the cows together, Han stopped us.

He told us that NOW we were going to move this herd  UP this steep hill. You have NEVER heard so much noise!  The cows were MOOING, the dead aspen trees were cracking, we were yelling at the cows and the cattle dog was barking.  I absolutely LOVED this part.  It was hard keeping the cows moving up the hill and not letting them double back on you.  They also ran into the aspen grove and you had to ride after them and keep them moving.  SO MUCH FUN!!  David loved it too. The other woman that rode with us did not like this part and her husband was NO help.

Too bad we couldn't take pictures while herding the cattle.  David has some pictures of me riding but I will have to post them later.  We saw a herd of deer and a sage grouse while riding.

When we got back to the cabin for lunch, I told Han he made my childhood fantasy come true! Han told us to go to Hot Sulphur Springs to help ease our bodies.

The Hot Sulphur Springs have been in operation for the past 140 years. The Ute Indians (and their horses and dogs) to bath and relax in the sacred waters.
They had 24 pools and private baths.  I wish I had taken my camera inside as you were bathing/soaking in baby blue waters that were so HOT!  You were surrounded by the rocks and minerals- kind of primitive looking.  Very relaxing and I'm certain it will help with the soreness of the cattle drive.

Tomorrow we head to Fort Collins, which is where Teresa lives.  We are going to stay there for a week and visit with the grand kids, Teresa and Dave.

 sign on the cabin
 MY cowboy :)
 Cheezing for the camera
 David out on the range on Scooter
 waiting for us to get through the gate
 David and me
 getting ready to dismount


 different view
 Zoey, the cattle dog posed with us
 heading out

one more posed pic

No comments:

Post a Comment